Although top spec gaming machines can run into the thousands, it’s perfectly possible to find a decent laptop with good gaming capabilities for under $500, without too many compromises.
It’s worth considering buying extra peripheries at a later date; extra RAM are readily available, and at budget friendly prices, so if you find your original purchase lacking as your gaming prowess and demands grow, there’s no need to get a whole new machine.
What to look for in a new gaming laptop for under $500?
- Processor: For under $500, there’s no need to compromise on power, and even though top spec games can be resource-hungry, a processor of 2GHz is perfectly adequate for all but the greediest
- RAM: 4GB of RAM is the standard offering, and there’s nothing to stop you upping this further down your gaming road
- Battery Life: For any laptop, this is always going to be an important question, and it depends on how often you plan to be out and about with your machine, away from a power source
- Screen Size: While bigger is frequently considered better, you can still get a decent game-playing sized screen for under $500
- Graphics Card: For most gamers, a dedicated card, that produces superior graphics, is preferable; however, if you need to compromise, and go with an integrated one, a dedicated card can be installed later.
We’ve found some great gaming laptops for under the $500 mark; have a look through our featured machines
Want to see what other gaming laptops we recommend? Why not check out these pages too!