Our kids are frequently more technically minded than their parents, with most first-world children having access to smartphones, tablets and even laptops on a daily basis. They have grown up hearing the pings and tings from text messages and Whatsapp, so they are more than ready when you feel it’s the right time to get them their very own laptop.
What to look for when buying a laptop for your kids?
- Screen Size: Although we would normally suggest a larger screen, kids’ hands cannot stretch across a regular keyboard, and small laptops are going to be lighter and more maneuverable for little people
- Processor: Referring to the computing power produced by the laptop, 2 or 3 GHz is a good place to aim for, especially if your kid loves playing games
- HDD vs SSD: Most laptops have a solid-state drive (SSD), which means a faster machine with less battery drain. It also makes for a more durable laptop – a good idea as it may get knocked a fair bit
- Display: It’s not a good plan for kids to have to strain their eyes, so as a minimum you should look for a 1920×1080 display
- RAM: RAM can be purchased cheaply and added to the amount the laptop comes with. Most include 8GB of Ram as standard
The models featured here have all been subjected to a range of tests to establish their quality, with only the winners being recommended.
Have a look at our favorite laptops for kids:
1) Fire 7 Edition 7″ Display, 16 GB, Purple Kid-Proof Case
They say start them young in order for the kids to maximize their full potential. Get them the Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet that has an ample 7″ Display and 16 GB memory. It is easy and simple to use and will introduce your kids to gadgets that are suitable for their age. It has parental controls for easy monitoring and it comes with 1 year of Amazon Kids+ that gives access to a wide variety of learning content from books, videos, and even games. Your kids will surely love its cute purple case that will protect this device from drops and spills.
Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet, 7" Display, 16 GB, Purple Kid-Proof Case
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- Over 20 million kids (and their parents) have enjoyed the Amazon Kids (FreeTime) service. Amazon Kids parental controls allow you to set educational goals, create time limits, and filter content.
- The included 1 year of Amazon Kids+ (FreeTime Unlimited) gives your kids access to over 20,000 apps, games, books, videos, audiobooks, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- Parents can give kids access to more apps like Netflix, Minecraft, and Zoom via the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
- Amazon Kids+ includes thousands of Spanish language books, videos, apps, games, and audiobooks.
2) Lenovo Chromebook 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop, 11.6’’ HD
If you want to provide your kids something more mature and functional like a real adult laptop then the Lenovo Chromebook C330 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop might be a great choice, especially for older kids. It provides all the useful tools for learning and has a built-in anti-virus so you do not need to fuss around to secure your kid’s laptop. It is easy to use and offers versatility by having a swiveling 360⁰ screen. Another great thing about this is it is relatively cheaper compared to other laptops so it is a great starting gadget for your kids to explore and learn.
Lenovo Chromebook C330 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop, 11.6-Inch HD (1366 x 768) IPS Display, MediaTek MT8173C Processor, 4GB LPDDR3, 64 GB eMMC, Chrome OS, 81HY0000US, Blizzard White
$218.99 in stock
27 used from $153.64
- Get high performance when you need it – The Chromebook C330 boots up in seconds and features easy-to-use Chrome OS, plenty of memory and storage, and so much more
- Sleek, stylish, and secure, this 360⁰ convertible laptop is less than 1-inch thin and about the weight of a hardback book, with an 11-inch touchscreen display that's perfect for day-to-day computing and multimedia, on or offline
- The Lenovo Chromebook C330 is easy to use, offers built-in virus protection and keeps going with long battery life. No setup needed – Just login with a Google account so emails, maps, documents, and photos stay with you via cloud storage
- Built to connect, this notebook computer includes a variety of USB ports for effortless connectivity. Plus, stay in touch with the built-in camera. Bluetooth 4.2
- Users love it; "High end features for a low price," says one happy reviewer. Another adds, "This Chromebook has far exceeded my expectations. The speed is snappy and the device responds quickly to gestures and commands."
3) Acer Chromebook Convertible Laptop 11.6″ HD Touch
If you prefer your kids to be on the laptop rather than phone so you can monitor them easily and provide them with a bigger screen to work with then you should get the Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop. It works on Chrome OS that allows you and your kids to download familiar apps that are accessible at the Google Playstore. There are countless apps for learning and leisure that will be easily downloadable on this laptop and enjoyed by your kids. Its 100gb of internal storage is also ample for your kid’s work and play and will help for a smooth experience.
Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop, Intel Celeron N4020, 11.6" HD Touch, 4GB LPDDR4, 32GB eMMC, Gigabit WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5.0, Google Chrome, CP311-2H-C679
$232.00 in stock
17 used from $205.00
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - An operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required).
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- Acer CP311-2H-C679 convertible Chromebook comes with 11.6” HD Touch IPS Display, Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 32GB eMMC, Google Chrome and up to 10-hours battery life.
Check out these pages too for some great branded laptops