Our kids are frequently more technically minded than their parents, with most first-world children having access to smartphones, tablets and even laptops on a daily basis. They have grown up hearing the pings and tings from text messages and Whatsapp, so they are more than ready when you feel it’s the right time to get them their very own laptop.
What to look for when buying a laptop for your kids?
- Screen Size: Although we would normally suggest a larger screen, kids’ hands cannot stretch across a regular keyboard, and small laptops are going to be lighter and more maneuverable for little people
- Processor: Referring to the computing power produced by the laptop, 2 or 3 GHz is a good place to aim for, especially if your kid loves playing games
- HDD vs SSD: Most laptops have a solid-state drive (SSD), which means a faster machine with less battery drain. It also makes for a more durable laptop – a good idea as it may get knocked a fair bit
- Display: It’s not a good plan for kids to have to strain their eyes, so as a minimum you should look for a 1920×1080 display
- RAM: RAM can be purchased cheaply and added to the amount the laptop comes with. Most include 8GB of Ram as standard
The models featured here have all been subjected to a range of tests to establish their quality, with only the winners being recommended.
Have a look at our favorite laptops for kids:
1) Fire 7 Edition 7″ Display, 16 GB, Purple Kid-Proof Case
They say start them young in order for the kids to maximize their full potential. Get them the Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet that has an ample 7″ Display and 16 GB memory. It is easy and simple to use and will introduce your kids to gadgets that are suitable for their age. It has parental controls for easy monitoring and it comes with 1 year of Amazon Kids+ that gives access to a wide variety of learning content from books, videos, and even games. Your kids will surely love its cute purple case that will protect this device from drops and spills.
2) Lenovo Chromebook 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop, 11.6’’ HD
If you want to provide your kids something more mature and functional like a real adult laptop then the Lenovo Chromebook C330 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop might be a great choice, especially for older kids. It provides all the useful tools for learning and has a built-in anti-virus so you do not need to fuss around to secure your kid’s laptop. It is easy to use and offers versatility by having a swiveling 360⁰ screen. Another great thing about this is it is relatively cheaper compared to other laptops so it is a great starting gadget for your kids to explore and learn.
$275.00 in stock
16 used from $129.99
3) Acer Chromebook Convertible Laptop 11.6″ HD Touch
If you prefer your kids to be on the laptop rather than phone so you can monitor them easily and provide them with a bigger screen to work with then you should get the Acer Chromebook Spin 311 Convertible Laptop. It works on Chrome OS that allows you and your kids to download familiar apps that are accessible at the Google Playstore. There are countless apps for learning and leisure that will be easily downloadable on this laptop and enjoyed by your kids. Its 100gb of internal storage is also ample for your kid’s work and play and will help for a smooth experience.
$185.00 in stock
7 used from $150.00
Check out these pages too for some great branded laptops