Contrary to popular belief, something doesn’t have to cost the earth to possess quality, and it’s the same with laptops. It’s perfectly possible to buy a decent laptop that can fulfill your requirements, and more, without paying a premium price.
The marketplace is full of budget-friendly notebooks offering a solid performance, battery longevity and a full HD image experience, 2 in 1s with impressively responsive touchscreens, and all the ports you could wish for, and even some pretty decent machines for the serious gamers who want change from their $500.
What to look for when buying a new laptop for under $500?
- Processor: For under $500, there’s no need to compromise on power. A lot of the more expensive machines still come with the standard 2GHz processor speed, and although it may be tempting and look for up to 3.2 or even 3.4, there’s really no need for the majority of users.
- RAM: 4GB of RAM is the most usual offering, but at the lower end of the price band, there’s plenty of machines with more, and there’s always the option to purchase more RAM at a later date, even taking your laptop up to 32 or more
- Battery Life: For a laptop this is always going to be a crucial question. How often will you need to be away from a power source for charging purposes?
- Screen Size: While bigger is generally seen as better, you can still get a good sized screen for under $500
- SSD vs HDD: With an SSD being the more popular choice, due to its faster load times and robustness, most manufacturers of under $500 machines favor these, too.
We’ve scoured the market for the best laptops that come in under the $500 mark, and have found a good range for your to choose from.
If you need a new laptop but have to stick to a budget, then why not check out these other pages too