If you know what you want from your new laptop, it can be relatively simple to find a decent laptop for under $300, and although a top-notch gaming machine will almost certainly have a higher price tag, even the big brands produce great computers for sensible budgets.
Depending on how fixed your budget is, it’s a good idea to make a list of what you want your laptop to include, and be honest with your expectations – although you may long for a machine to take on the world, with a tight budget it may not happen.
What to look for when buying a laptop for under $300
- RAM: most laptops have a solid 4GB, however purchasing extra RAM is very affordable, so to go up to 32 is no biggie
- Processor: even with a budget under $300, you can purchase a good processor speed of 2GHz. You can go higher, but there’s no real requirement for the average user
- SSD: a solid-state hard drive offers fast load times, and is reliably robust
- Battery: depending on how you use your laptop, decent battery life may, or may not be important
- Screen size: screen real estate is great for gamers or if you need room to work, but for the majority of us, we easily adapt to whatever size is available
With the goal of finding great laptops under $300, here are our favorite models for 2020:
2 used from $338.39
11 used from $317.85
5 used from $349.66
For more laptops to suit specific budgets, check out some of our other pages here